Who we are
We are one church that meets and works in two different locations on the west side of Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, England.
We may have two different sites and work in different ways at different times but we hold onto shared values and vision to empower each church site to fulfil their God-given potential to help their community while supporting one another.
Like many churches, we want to express core Jesus-like values as we fulfil our vision. Therefore we embrace the Christ taught beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12), the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and many other godly qualities such as justice, righteousness, peace, wisdom, generosity and love as expressed and seen throughout the Bible.
Specifically though, and what makes Bridge Community Church unique is the application of the following values to our vision:
We want to make a difference for good
We want to go out and connect with people and our community
We do want to identify with and help the vulnerable in society
We want to be fun and enjoy celebrations with God and people
We want to keep on growing as individuals and as a community
What we believe: Our Basis of Faith Statement
Bridge Community Church believes and proclaims:
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons—the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God—fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ—born of the Virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers—given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
Our statement of faith is from the Evangelical Alliance, which represents 2 million evangelical Christians in the UK and works in partnership with similar organisations representing 600 million people around the world. Bridge Community Church through membership with the Evangelical Alliance expresses affiliation with other evangelical individuals, churches and mission agencies. Our evangelicalism is a foundation to help shape our links and partnerships to fulfil our church purposes and charitable objectives.
As a church, we seek each day to Love God, Share Jesus & Grow Together. We seek to offer people who are seeking God both a safe place and opportunities to discover their significance in Christ with the desire that we would be a Christ centred people changing lives in Bury and beyond.